Radio producer

The first film by a former radio producer to premiere at DeVille – The Vacaville Reporter


The DeVille Theater has served many functions since its reopening, including as a venue for live music, comedy, magic shows and more. Plus, as you would expect from an old cinema with a long history, the DeVille Theater occasionally returns to its roots by showing both classic and independent films.

One such example can be seen on May 18 for the premiere of Eric Santos, a Vacaville resident, “Fill Your Heart”.

The film has been a goal of Santos for a long time. He took film courses at university with the intention of entering this field, but his father was a radio producer and Santos first followed in his footsteps.

“I was convinced to take the radio route,” he said.

For 20 years, Santos worked as a producer for numerous sports and political radio shows, including Michael Savage and Brian Sussman’s shows on KSFO. However, Santos moved on to different projects, including his first love for cinema. He had a story that had preoccupied him for many years and, upon his retirement from radio, he wrote the screenplay that blossomed in “Fill Your Heart”.

Director Eric Santos films a scene from his film “Fill Your Heart”. (Photo provided – FillYourHeartTheMovie.com)

Santos, who grew up in Daly City, decided to use his childhood town as the setting for his film. “Fill Your Heart” focuses on two friends living in the downtown area who have a love of music. One friend is a very talented arranger and songwriter, and the other friend is less talented and steals the other friend’s idea and music. The less talented friend ends up landing a lucrative recording contract while the other is denied a contract by the same company, unaware that his friend has betrayed him, sending him on a downward spiral through an addiction. to alcohol and drugs which he later rebounded with the help of a missionary group.

The film has a strong religious message, which Santos says was inspired by his experiences as the director of men’s ministry at the New Hope Christian Fellowship.

“I decided to tie the film to my faith,” he said. “I just made sure there was a positive family value type movie towards the end.”

The film’s church scenes are shot in New Hope, and a number of other locations in Vacaville also make appearances. Residents can recognize Andrews Park, Oddfellows Lodge, Primo’s Barbershop, Opportunity House, and the back wall of Ray’s Cycle where Merchant and Main streets meet. Some residents even loaned the interiors of their homes for filming when Santos said he needed homes with “a certain look.”

In fact, although “Fill Your Heart” is set in Daly City, Santos estimates that 85% of it was filmed in Vacaville. The remaining 15% was shot in Santos’ hometown, but he said Daly City had very strict fees when it came to filming, which he didn’t experience in Vacaville.

“When I arrived in Vacaville, I was very happy that they welcomed me with open arms and did not charge me a penny,” he said. “They helped me close the streets, with the support of the police, the support of the city council, the clerk (and) the city manager.”

Starting at 6:00 p.m. on May 18, a first VIP evening for “Fill Your Heart” will take place with aperitifs, a red carpet, a meeting with the actors and the music of a group that played in the film.

“(The audience) will see what a red carpet experience looks like up close in our hometown of Vacaville,” Santos said.

The film will start around 7.15 a.m. Then the Bueno group will perform. The Latin Christian rock group includes members of the Latin band from San Francisco Malo, led by Carlos Santana’s younger brother, Jorge.

Santos said if the premiere sold out, “Fill Your Heart” would perform at Theater DeVille every weekend until the end of June.

Overall, the filmmaker hopes audiences get a taste of life growing up in a downtown area and how to overcome hardships.

“They are going to see that whatever situation a person is growing up in, they are going through the same things,” he said. “No matter your financial situation or where you grow up, there are some things that you are going to have to face, and these are all about making the right choices about how to handle the issues that arise in your life.”

Tickets for the VIP night are $ 35 and $ 25 for the movie and the Bueno concert. General admission will begin at 7 p.m. at the DeVille Theater, 308 Main Street. For tickets, go to theatredeville.com/films. For more information on the film, visit fillyourheartthemovie.com.


LEAVE A RESPONSE

Your email address will not be published.